Development Technician II Position Purpose:
We have an immediate opportunity for a Development Technician to join our Fermentation Development group in our US headquarters in Carlsbad, CA. As a Development Technician you will assist with and conduct research supporting the development, optimization, and scale-up of fermentation and downstream processes. All actions directly contribute to the timely completion of project milestones.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with/conducts research on the development and scale-up of bioprocesses to ensure timely completion of project milestones. Opportunity for in-depth exposure to advanced fermentation techniques and methods, and their application in a bench-scale laboratory and pilot plant setting.
- Applies established and new methods as required to achieve project objectives
- Records, organizes and analyzes data
- Utilizes established company documentation such as SOPs, batch records and work instruction outlines.
- Maintains concise laboratory notebooks as required, signed and witnessed in a timely manner.
- Maintains a safe and orderly laboratory and ensures compliance with all safety policies and practices
- May provide team leadership if a Senior Development Technician or other ‘lead’ personnel are not available
- Provides guidance and training to Development Technicians
- Shift work consisting of a periodically rotating schedule covering both day and night, 7 days a week
Proficiency with basic laboratory equipment required. 1-2 years of experience in research/process development or as a shift leader in a relevant field is preferred
- College degree is not necessary, but relevant coursework and/or experience in the biotech industry is required
- Requires proficiency with current microbiology, biology, biochemistry, or biochemical engineering techniques and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary research team
- Knowledge of bioreactor operation, fermentation and downstream processes beneficial.
- No special language skills required, beyond English fluency
- Requires mechanical skills and sufficient strength to work effectively with pilot-scale fermentation and downstream equipment
- Ability to occasionally lift approximately 40 lbs./20 Kg required
- Ability to work for extended periods of time without sitting
Work Environment: Laboratory, pilot plant and basic office
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, a progressive and rewarding work environment with an alternative workweek schedule. Qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume and salary requirements